Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Other Side

I was always on the other side of the glass at visitation. Let me explain.

M would come visit me when I was in "time out". And every visit was delightful. I would grin when they called me out of my cell. I couldn't wait to get to visitation to see her and eat all kinds of junk.
Well this time it was different. I went back to the Unit I was on to visit a dear friend of mine. I didn't make friends in there, cause well let's face it who would want to. But OJ I just love. She and I worked together, we talked, we ate together, and we even look almost exactly alike. They called us Darrel and Daryl. OMG it was wild. I got there and of course the first guard I saw was one I worked for. He just smiled and said you look great. Then the next guard I saw said "I know who you are here to see". Even inmates that were having their visits were in awww. Their mouths dropped.
I just couldn't believe I was there. I had no doubts that I would not go back there, I knew I would visit OJ. So this time I got to get up and go home. No strip search, no going back to a cell. Before I left one guard got on the phone with me to talk. I will be going back to see her. It feels good to see her smile, knowing I will be there for her.
I don't miss that place that's for sure. But I do miss OJ. I am glad I get to see her again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marianna said...

I hope she benefits from the visits as much as you did. And you know how important those visits were for me, too. I learned so much about life ~ even from the other side of the glass. I'm glad it was a positive experience. I knew the guards were going to be proud of you. You've come a long way, honey..

I love your header, btw! Leesa's work! :)

M~

December 3, 2007 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Very interesting post. I'd love to hear more of these stories. My father has so many stories of his own being in his "country club" (fed pris.), which of course is a whole other can of beans, but the stories nevertheless, were so fascinating.

It sounds as though the both of you are very fortunate. She's lucky to have you!

Thanks for sharing this! Would love to hear more about your adventures and stories.

Hope you're doing well!

December 3, 2007 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

She's lucky to have a friend like you. Hopefully she will have a support network when she gets out too.
Stacie

December 4, 2007 at 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home